St John’s Church, Hildenborough
There are 37 names on the 1914-1918 war memorial at Hildenborough Cross commemorating those from the parish of St. John’s Church who will be commemorated in the There But Not There installation in 2018.
St John’s was built in 1844 when Hildenborough became a Church of England parish in its own right. Prior to that time the area had been part of the parish of Tonbridge. There have been minor changes to the Church building since it was built but the first worshippers would readily recognise the building today and would enjoy the 1950s addition of a Church Centre with facilitiies for use by the Church community and the wider village community. It comprises a main hall with spacious entrance foyer, a modern stage, five smallish side rooms, toilets and well equipped kitchen, as well as another comfortable carpeted meeting room seating approximately 70 people.
VIAM, LIFTUP YOUR HEARTS, REMEMBER THE COMRADES,
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19
GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST
LET LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE ON THEM