Parish of Chiddingstone including St Mary’s, Chiddingstone and St Lukes, Chiddingstone Causeway
The Glorious Dead of the two parishes are recorded on the War Memorials at St Mary’s and St Luke’s churches, and on the memorial plaque formally in the Chiddingstone Hoath Chapel (now located in St Mary’s). Both churches are within the Parish of of Chiddingstone, Kent.
35 names are recorded on the First World War memorial in the parish church of St. Mary. The church is a beautiful Grade II listed sandstone building and is, perhaps, the fourth built on the site. In the churchyard is a mausoleum dating from 1736 built by Henry Streatfeild; leading down into the family vault beneath which has a through flow of air provided by vents in two false altar tombs. The church was almost destroyed by a lightning fire in 1624.
18 names of the fallen are recorded at St Luke’s church. St Luke’s Church Chiddingstone Causeway was built in 1898 when the local community grew with the development of the cricket bat and ball industry carried on by Duke & Sons in the village, and large congregations justified a proper church to replace the small chapel of St. Saviour. The church is constructed in Bath stone in the late Gothic style with many notable features including a beautiful Altar window, a fine oak Communion Table and Communion rails of massive brass with panels of light wrought iron worked underneath.
Chiddingstone village is described as being the most perfect surviving example of a Tudor village in the country. Much of the village is owned by The National Trust. The Chiding Stone is a large sandstone rock formation, and tradition asserts that the stone was used as a seat of judgement, mainly to remonstrate overbearing local wives.
Chiddingstone Castle is a thriving visitor attraction. It dates back to the early 1500s, owned by the Streatfeild family and in the early 1800s was re-built by Henry Streatfeild to resemble a medieval castle. The castle was sold to Lord Astor in 1938, and then served as a base for military forces during the Second World War. It then became Long Dene school until 1954 when the school was closed.